Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Cantaloupe or Muskmelon


When I was growing up members of my family always referred to Cantaloupe as Muskmelon. 


Turns out Muskmelon is a term including all kinds of melons including cucumbers. Honeydew has been one of my summer favorites. Honeydew is in the muskmelon family. 
Cantaloupe is low in Saturated Fat and Sodium, and very low in Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Dietary Fiber, Niacin, Vitamin B6 and Folate, and a very good source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C and Potassium. The Glycemic load is low and it is mildly anti-inflammatory.

I enjoy them chilled. A cool treat on those hot days of summer.
From the garden is best but I like to pick them up at a roadside stand or the farmers market. They are always sweet and delicious when localy grown.   
I enjoy cantaloupe all year from the grocery store but when the local crop is ripe these are the best!

See all the nutritional facts on Cantaloupe at  Self Nutrition Data.com 
More information on Cantaloupe from WebMD.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. We enjoy the interaction.